Monday, January 30, 2012

Confessions of a Book Selling Library Lover

I'm an author. Which means that I want people to buy my books, right? Right. It also means that I understand the importance of buying the books of other authors I enjoy, in the interest of supporting their work so they don't have to go out and get some other job.

But I confess, I am a library lover. I've always loved libraries and I love them perhaps even more, particularly since a brand new, state-of-the-art library and cultural center was built just blocks from my home. Walking distance! (Not that I walk.)

Not only is it a wonderful place filled with books and computers and journals (oh my!) but they also have a fabulous online reservation system which allows me to request books, walk in and find it on the shelf with my name on it, use my key fob for automatic checkout, and be on my way with my desired book in under a minute. There's a drive-thru window for returning, too.

Now don't get me wrong; I do buy some books. Many, in fact. I've even read books from the library where afterward I went and bought one because I couldn't bear to give it back and wanted my own copy. In fact, it's probably a good thing that I don't personally purchase every book that I read, otherwise you'd see me on that show, "Hoarders," with mere paths to navigate through my home.

There is a huge library marketing program for my upcoming novel, "Momnesia." (My accountant would be pissed!) It consists of direct mail, catalog advertising, attendance at the Public Library Association conference in Philadelphia in March (I reside in NC & VA), and more. I admit, I have fantasies of libraries all over the country carrying my book, choosing it as a women's book club selection, and taking advantage of my publisher's offer to send free chocolates on the discussion date.

Of course, these fantasies do not negate my other fantasies, in which my book is featured in every store in the country and it becomes the number one book club pick for women all across the world. And they enjoy their chocolates too.

I mean, what could be better than chocolate? I mean books. Regardless of where people get them, I guess my overall goal is for as many people as possible to read and enjoy my book. Call me corny. Or romantic, or whatever. Happy reading!

Link to my publisher's special library program
Link to my publisher's special book club program
Link to my publisher's special gift shop program
Link to my publisher's special bookstore program

I've been a freelance writer, journalist, columnist, and speaker for 15+ years. Momnesia is my debut novel and I am the author of the nonfiction book Everything You Need to Know About House Training Puppies and Adult Dogs, which has been widely acclaimed in its genre. I'm a happily married mom of two, step mom of two more, and have two cats, both rotten. I invite you to learn more by visiting my website, Facebook, and Twitter, all found at LoriTheAuthor.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome; please make sure they are relevant to the discussion. Thanks for participating!