Saturday, April 24, 2010

Educational Conference, Complete!

As many of you know, I've been preparing to teach at the AMTA Educational Conference in Hickory, NC, and yesterday was the day! It was a beautiful day for driving and I was very fortunate to have a close girlfriend keep me company for the three-hour-each-way trip.

"Creative Marketing Outside the Box," was a success. With about 30 attendees taking my class, conversation flowed, brainstorming abounded, my Powerpoint presentation (much to my relief) didn't freeze up, and most of the feedback was great.

Yes, I received instantaneous feedback. Pleasantly, there were numerous people who approached me at the end to verbally tell me they enjoyed it. But I'd also included a feedback card for people to fill out, and I anxiously leafed through them immediately upon the room clearing out. On a scale of 1-5, I received several 5's, many 4's and just one or two 3's.

But of course, there's always that one person who was already an "expert of all things," who hated my class and vehemently voiced her objections on the form.

Sorting through the cards, I was feeling all warm and fuzzy as one after the next made comments about how they really feel they'll be able to improve their businesses and save money on expenses; it was entertaining and made time fly; and they're feeling much more motivated and hopeful. It was great stuff!

So why is it that when I came across the one negative one--despite the fact that I know "there's always one in every group"--drives me crazy to the point of almost entirely negating the multitude of positive ones?

Perfectionistic tendencies? Naw. Couldn't be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome; please make sure they are relevant to the discussion. Thanks for participating!